Skip to main content

Shellie M. Bailey photo
Shellie M. Bailey photo
Shellie M. Bailey
Hometown: Jackson, MS
Back to Search

Adjust Text Size:

Shellie M. Bailey was a three year letter winner in basketball (1922-25) and baseball (1923-25) and two year letter winner in football (1923-24) and track (1923-24) while at Millsaps College. He was All-state selection in basketball in 1923-24 season and hit .371 in 1924 and .441 in 1925 in baseball. Shellie ran 100- and 200-yard dash on track team and was named team captain in basketball in 1924-25 season. Shellie M. Bailey  came to Forest Hill in the summer of 1934. In 1939, four classrooms were added, and a cafeteria underneath was built to the east end of this building. Later that same year, the "old gym," was added with a $2,400 bond issue, and the coliseum was started. The school boasted twenty-six regular teachers and four special teachers, including a band director, a music teacher and two piano teachers. The reason for all these building programs was the unprecedented growth in the enrollment. Dairy farms were being converted into sub divisions and people were moving into houses as fast as they could be built. In 1934, there were 210 pupils. By 1942, it had risen to over 400. The shop was built in 1946. In 1949, a new auditorium and 16 classrooms for elementary children were built. The cafeteria was built in 1950, and the Home Economics addition came in 1956. In 1959, the Eva Ferguson building was built. In 1960 a "new gym" was built and later officially became the "Shellie M. Bailey Coliseum. Under Mr. Bailey's guidance, Forest Hill was accredited by the State Accreditation Commission and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Forest Hill attained a well-rounded school program of academic excellence, a strong athletic program, a top-rated band and many outstanding clubs under his leadership. Mr. Bailey passed away in January, 2001, shortlly after breaking his hip. These pages are dedicated to his memory.